03 June 2009

In which I am, for once, a trendsetter

I am not a fashion-conscious person. My brother is laughing as he reads that, because, in fact, I am frequently deliberate in that choice (although I'm getting better in the clothing department.) It isn't that I have no sense of style. It's just that I'm...old-fashioned. In most areas, I'd just as soon do something the way it was done 100 years ago, and have little to no interest in many things that can be described as "modern."

I enjoy modern technology, to a point. I'm a big fan of hot showers, air-conditioning, and indoor plumbing. I adore my washing machine (which is really only a modernized laundress). I'm also happy to keep a refrigerator, 'though I maintain that if we build our next house, I want a spring-fed stream running through the basement so we can keep things cold without electricity (like in this one). I am less enamored with computers, cell phones, and other things in that line. I put off starting this blog for over a year, because I didn't want to have to mess with the computer. I don't like to use e-mail. I'm not even really that crazy about the telephone. Letters are so much more civilized. Does anyone but me still write letters?

In my homemaking, I am incurably old fashioned (except for the vacuum, which is sort of a modern version of the parlor maid.) I won't have modern cleaning products in my house. Even if they weren't all toxic, the scents make me ill. I do most of my cleaning with vinegar and baking soda, and it works just fine for me like it did for generations before me, thanks very much.

I feel the same about food. If it took a chemist to put together half the ingredients, I'm not interested. I cook good, simple, healthy food. And I figure, the closer it is to the way God made it, the better. I use butter, never margarine. I drink whole milk, and I drink it raw when I can get it. (I have a little bit of a bone to pick with the state of Indiana on that issue.) I keep telling my mother that Splenda is not her friend. I also cook and fry with lard. It turns out, I may be on to something.

2 comments:

  1. Well, of course you know I don't fry very many things. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. But I made biscuits with lard, just last night. So I thought that article was very interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.