17 June 2009

Smoothies for breakfast


My favourite summertime breakfast is a smoothie. It's so simple to just throw a few things in the blender, and then I've had something healthy that gives me an energy boost, to get through feeding the monkeys. Step 1: give the Monkey Baby something to play with that will keep him occupied. Filling that role here is my can opener, which does not have an exposed blade, but DOES turn, open, and otherwise keep a monkey occupied for five minutes. Perfect.


Next, Pour some frozen fruit in the blender. I buy a smoothie blend, that has mango, papaya, pineapple, and strawberries. Some mornings I mix this with a three berry blend (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries), or raspberries by themselves. You could use peaches, or plain strawberries. Throw in a banana, if that's a flavour you really like. Basically, anything fruity that tastes good to you. This is enough for two smoothies:

On top of the fruit in that picture you can see a scattering of flax seed, which I throw in for the...whatever the healthy stuff is in flax seed. Omega 3? I don't remember. Anyway, that's optional. Also add your sweetener of choice. I used about 2 tablespoons of sugar this morning, which left the smoothie rather tart. Sometimes I use honey. Next, pour enough buttermilk in to cover the fruit. You could also use plain yogurt and milk. Buttermilk has a nice tart flavour that I like, is super cheap, and still has the live culture that makes yogurt so good for you.


I usually add two eggs at this point, but we're out this morning. (It took two pregnancies before I decided I couldn't handle scrambled eggs every morning, and got my mind around drinking them raw. My midwife recommends two eggs a day during pregnancy, to help prevent pre-eclampsia. You can't taste them, I promise.) Blend everything until smooth (you may need to add more liquid).


Ok, now this is the very best part. Ready? After you pour out all the smoothie, drip a few drops of dish soap in the blender and fill half-way with warm water. Now turn on high:


Rinse it out well, then turn it upside down in the dish-drain to dry. Total time for healthy breakfast and a clean kitchen: About 6 minutes. I love it!

See more great ideas at Works For Me Wednesday, hosted by We Are THAT Family.

5 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm for cleaning up that blender right away. I am going to share that "best part" with my 14-year-old son, and I think I'll start encountering a clean blender in the drainer rather than a goopy blender on the counter from now on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same way I clean my blender! I wondered if anyone else did the same....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    This is great! I'm so proud of you, keep writing!
    I love the idea of the smoothie, but hate the idea (as always) of going to the grocery store. I wish they would deliver!
    I love those little monkeys! Keep on writing, and don't forget to post pictures of Monkey #1 and Monkey # 2.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love doing smoothies for breakfast. I even add in some spinach and they can't tell. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up on chocolate milkshakes with egg every single morning. Whole milk, egg and a lavish dose of Hershey's syrup. Not sure why we never had fruit flavors but what the heck, my mom got an egg into us every morning without fail.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.