14 October 2009

One of those days

It was almost a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. First thing this morning I decided we were skipping school today. I have some loose ends left to wrap up since my mother left, and I wanted to work on those. Day off from school! (I love homeschooling). Thing the first was a large antique pickle crock in my pantry, which was a gift from my husband's grandmother. Now that my pantry is all clean, it was rather...exposed. Which was making me nervous. But I knew exactly where I wanted to put it! And since the Nester is talking about tablescaping, that was thing the second. I think we can all agree, the top of this bookshelf needs a little help.

However, I wanted a before picture, and the battery on my camera was dead. So I plugged it into the charger, thinking I would let it charge for just a minute, take one picture, and let it finish charging the rest of the day. Then the after picture could happen later. While it was charging, ever so briefly, I went into the bathroom to put up my hair. Just as I finished coiling up my bun (and before I put in any pins to keep it that way) I heard a crash.

Did I mention that my wonderful mother bought me a laundry sorter while she was here? Yes, and Monkey3 helped assemble it. Which was great, except that meant he thought it was his new toy. He's not allowed in the pantry, but that rarely keeps him from going in when he wants to. And the pickle crock was on top of the laundry sorter (trying to keep it out of reach). So this is what I saw when I came around the corner:
One broken pickle crock.

The day didn't really improve from there. I took the monkeys to Chick-Fil-A for lunch, because we had no food in the house (I'm a bit behind on the baking). I packed my knitting. I started a pair of baby booties for a friend at the beginning of August, and was hoping to finish them so I could put them in the mail on the way home. Well, I knitted the last few rounds, bound everything off and wove in all my loose ends. Then I realized I forgot to put the ribbed cuff on the second bootie. And I forgot my address book, so I couldn't mail them anyway.

So I haven't really had a great day. Sorry to be depressing, but days are like that sometimes. I'm going to ask the Mad Scientist to glue the crock (in all his spare time) so that may be redeemable. We'll see. In the meantime, I have two tired monkeys, one that is going to bed anyway, and a date with my tv and vcr. I'm going to drown my sorrows in a video, and wait for this day to be over.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the Mad Scientist can use Gorilla Glue since your Monkey #3 broke the crock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D I don't really like Gorilla Glue, because it expands as it dries. We go through lots of epoxy around here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.