04 December 2009

Home Again, Home Again

Back from a lovely visit with my family in NH, and the laundry is already out of control.  I don't understand how that happens.  I washed everything except what we were wearing the day before we left my parents', and now, two days later, my laundry basket is completely overflowing.  My dear husband looked at it last night and said "Huh.  You've only been home for one day, and you're already behind on the laundry." 

Then I hit him really hard with a pillow, and put on the baggiest, least sexy pajamas I could find.  :-)

I'm attempting to get somewhat back on track with something resembling a schedule, and school, but the monkeys got used to running all over the place at their grandparents' house.  My parents have a HUGE backyard, plus a barn full of goats.  The children loved the goats.  And the ducks.  And the chickens.  I loved that I didn't have to work nearly so hard keeping them all busy. 

But now we're home again, without the cohort of animals to keep them all entertained.  What's a mother to do?  I took them out to the play area at the mall today.  I took my knitting.  I didn't let them ride the carousel first, so Monkey3 (you knew it would be him, right?) didn't spend the entire time trying to escape from the play area back to the carousel...like last time.  I can be taught!

So I got to knit for almost an hour, and the monkeys wore themselves out.  It was great.  We went to Wal-Mart afterwards, and then Monkey3 fell asleep in the car on the way home.  So soundly, in fact, that I carried him into the house, put him in bed, took off his coat, and removed both boots without waking him up.  It was a beautiful thing.

Now, I'm off to watch an educational film with my beloved.  I'll leave you with a quick Monkey Moment - The oldest two monkeys were playing pirates today, and I overheard this conversation:

M1: (very excited and emphatic) I'm Captain Hook, and you're Captain Stick, and we're gonna learn to work together!

M2: (in her "delighted little girl" voice) Yes, we are!

M1:  We can't fight each other!  We have to work together to fight good guys and steal their treasure!

(an opinionated housewife wonders where she went wrong as a mother)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.