02 February 2010

Timely Reminder

This morning I looked around my house, and I cried.  There is a mess in every room, a pile of stuff in every corner.  I told my husband I am a failure as a homemaker, a homeschooler, a wife, and a mother.  I believed it.  I told him the solution was for me to get rid of all my craft things, because they take up so much space.  And I cried as I said "but that's the only thing I do that's just for me."

I could type out a list of home maintenance tasks I have not taken care of recently, but that's not the point of this post.  The point is, that as I sat on my (dirty) kitchen floor, crying out my failure to maintain my high ideals, I prayed "God, help me."

Then I got up, and went about my day, determined to make a dent in the chaos before it consumed me.  But I was totally overwhelmed, so instead I sat down at the computer.  And as I scrolled through my blogroll, I found this post over at Holy Experience (which I only added yesterday.)  And these words hit me right between the eyes:

In those hours of margin, I’ll have a sliver of time for leisure. I’ll take mine tapping keys, reading. Others might sew, knit, paint. But it’s not as though I simply plow through the day’s work in order to get to what I really want to do. But rather, the leisure projects of a mother’s fringe hours, or of anyone engaged in a Christian model of genuine work, these hobbies aren’t the desired end of our work or escape from it, but are simply a change in pace, a recharging rhythm, refreshing us to return with renewed passion and vigor to our ultimate callings, our purposeful work.
Because all work is sacred work, worthy of the diligence, the effort. I pick up lost legos, dry the pots, whish the toilets and this serves God. For if I can’t meet God in my work, where do I meet Him? If I don’t serve Him here, where do I serve Him? Are we not called to serve God in the work – not merely in some imagined, mirage place outside of work?

In a model of Christian work, we live one-piece lives, all weaving together into a sacred cloth as unto the Lord with no false seams between God and our days.

And in our work, sacred work because there is no such thing as secular work, we first serve God. I’ll put away the laundry, sweep the crumbs, polish the windows not to serve my family primarily, but to serve God. Because, “whenever man is made the centre of things, he becomes the storm center of trouble,” writes Dorothy Sayers. “The moment you think of serving people, you begin to have a notion that other people owe you something for your pains…. You will begin to bargain for reward, to angle for applause.” 
 God, help me to live a one-piece life, where my work, and my leisure, are done to your glory.  Help me to find the balance between chaos and order, that neither may rule my life.  Rather be you the center, and the focus, not crowded out by other things.  Remind me every day, that what I do, I do for you.

 Really, I need to just read through that entire site.  So far, every single post I've looked at has brought me to tears.   But right now, I have laundry and dishes calling my name.  God's grace to you all.

3 comments:

  1. I so desperately needed to read this today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Rambling Housewife!!!
    There is deep deep encouragement found in those words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serving god not only a must, but also a need. Great blog, I added u in my link list, would u add me too. Thanx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.