16 February 2010

Valentine's Day Fun

We had a very nice Valentine's Day chez moi.  We went to church in the morning, where at least half the females were wearing red.  In the choir were a woman in a long-sleeved red shirt with a black vest, and a woman in a long-sleeved black shirt with a red vest.  They couldn't have done that better if they had planned it; they were in exactly the same outfit, just with the colors reversed.  It made it very difficult to concentrate on the music.  (Maybe I'm just easily distracted.)

Monkey2 wore an adorable outfit that her Bestemor brought back from her last trip to Ukraine.  I promised to take pictures, which is more difficult in this house than one might suppose.  What to use as a backdrop?



I decided I didn't like that, because the lighting was bad.  So we tried another location:

 

"Monkey Baby, you need to move.  I'm trying to get a picture of your sister."  (He has a balloon in his mouth.  Just in case you were concerned.)
 
Ah, very cute.  Of course, now she has the other window behind her head, but I decided it was good enough.  
Then, after church, we needed something for lunch.  Bestemor to the rescue again!

 

I gave them all their Valentine's candy.  Yes, that was lunch.  Because for supper...well.

Two weeks ago I bought a ten pound beef brisket, specifically so I could make The Pioneer Woman's brisket recipe.  I had an ulterior motive, which was that I wanted the leftovers for her other brisket recipe - tostadas. Have I ever told you of my deep and abiding love for anything resembling Mexican food?  So I used the leftover brisket from last week, made quacamole and pico de gallo, and we watched Veggie Tales Jonah Sing Along Songs.  Good stuff.  The five of us nearly finished off a four-avocado batch of guacamole.  I think I ate most of that myself.  My favorite part of the evening, however, was watching Monkey1 laught hysterically at every funny part in the movie.

(Confession:  I cheated a bit.  I used store-bought tortillas, which I bought already crispy, and canned tomatoes for the pico de gallo.  Also, I left out the jalapenos.  Apologies to my Mexican friends; I'm sorry, but I can't take the heat.)  (It drives me crazy that I can't put a tilde on my n in this program!!)

So, we had a very nice day.  I think Monkey2's favourite part was her new socks:




I made her take them off when she went to bed yesterday, or she'd probably still have them on.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.