24 March 2010

I think I may be in love

I recently got a food processor from a lovely woman on Freecycle.  She not only gifted me with this item but, when I realized it was missing a piece, searched her pantry 'til the absent item materialized, and then made sure that it made its way to me as well.  I was very grateful, but, never having had a food processor before, I wasn't quite sure where to start with it.

Then I got the idea to try it with pie crust.  Now, ordinarily I hate making pie crust.  Cutting in the lard (and yes, I do use lard; sue me, it makes a nicer crust) is a total pain in the patootie, even with the special gizmo.  But this time?  I just threw all the crust ingredients in the food processor, whizzed it around, and I was good to go:


 25 minutes from "Gee, I think I'll bake a pie." to popping it in the oven.  My life in the kitchen will never be the same.  (Also, possibly, my waistline.)

Waistline aside, that definitely Works For Me.

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday, hosted by Kristin at We Are THAT Family.  Visit there for other great ideas.

6 comments:

  1. I *love* my food processor! I use it to shred veggies a lot. Shredded veggies are added to just about everything I cook for an added nutritional punch. It mixes dough very nicely, and makes an awesome hummus. A free food processor? Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How large of capacity does the food processor need to be in order to make a double crusted pie? I've been wanting one precisely for this purpose, but with the variety of sizes, I just cannot figure out which to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My food processor has transformed chopping onions from a dreaded chore into just another step in dinner prep. Glad freecycle worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I never thought to try hummus; what a great idea! That's one of my children's favourite summertime snacks.

    My processor doesn't appear to say anywhere what the capacity is. The bowl is roughly four inches high, and about 7 in diameter. My crust recipe makes three, or four in a pinch, and it fit fine. I wouldn't have wanted it any smaller, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should definitely try that next time I make a pie! Thanks for sharing the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a food processor and think that a FREE one sounds awesome!

    I borrowed my mom's last summer when we had an overabundance of squash from the garden. I have never in my life seen so much squash. lol. I had been slicing and grating with a knife and cheese grater until I finally got a hold of her food processor. Oh my! I got all those squashes sliced and grated in a FRACTION of the time. It was so great!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.