19 June 2010

Sucker Punch

Today was rough.  The kids woke up early, and no one else did.  So I spent two hours trying to keep them quiet so the rest of the house could sleep.  Yoga was rough; I was too tired to do much (last week I told the teacher I would just spend the whole class in Child's Pose.  I haven't yet, but it remains a possibility).  Coming home was rough.  Monkey3 was overtired, and wanted to nurse all afternoon.  I put him down for a nap and he woke up crabby.  Monkey2 was overtired and consequently spent a lot of time howling, whining, and fussing.

I finally got through to the Mad Scientist on Skype, and was detailing my woes when my mother brought me the phone.  It was my mother in-law.  Someone broke into their house today, and her parrot was stolen.  He was her baby, and she is heart-broken.  Also our cat, which they were watching for the summer, is missing.  We don't know if he was also stolen, or just ran away because he was frightened.  Either way, he's gone.

My children have been telling me for the last two weeks how much they're looking forward to snuggling with Thorvald again when they get home.  I don't know what to tell them.

Odds are against the cat having been stolen.   He was just your basic American Shorthair, not valuable to anyone but us.  I'm hoping and praying he turns up in the next day or two.  I know that, in the larger scheme of things, a cat isn't that big a deal.  But he's a big deal to us.  We got him before we started having babies, and all my children adore him.  They've grown up with him, and he has willingly tolerated everything three active babies could dish out.  He's wonderful, and we love him.   And this song is on my heart tonight:

 Oh great God
Be small enough
To hear me now
There were times when I was crying
From the dark of Daniel`s den
I had asked you once or twice
If you would part the sea again
Tonight I do not need a
Fiery pillar in the sky
Just want to know you`re gonna
Hold me if I start to cry

Oh great God
Be small enough to hear me now
Oh great God
Be close enough to feel you now
(Oh great god be close to me)
There have been moments when I could not face
Goliath on my own
And how could I forget we marched
Around our share of Jerichos
But I will not be setting out
A fleece for you tonight
Just wanna know that everything will be alright
Oh great god be close enough to feel me now

All praise and all the honor be
To the god of ancient mysteries
Whose every sign and wonder
Turn the pages of our history
But tonight my heart is heavy
And I cannot keep from whispering this prayer
Are you there?

And I know you could leave writing
On the wall that`s just for me
Or send wisdom while I`m sleeping
Like in Solomon`s sweet dreams
But I don`t need the strength of Sampson
Or a chariot in the end
Just wanna know that you still know how many
Hairs are on my head
Oh great God (Are you small enough)
Be small enough to hear
Me now

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.