07 January 2011

I'm still feeling ornery

So, in keeping with that, I present this list for your enjoyment/perusal.

I'd just like to say (since this is my personal space, where I can say what I think if I want to) that I found that list to be condescending and obnoxious.

Personally, I think maintaining the separation of work and home is more important now than ever, for precisely the reason mentioned.

I think that no e-reader whatchamacallit is ever going to equal the experience of sitting down with an actual printed item in your hand, and I know for a fact that magazines are actually doing better now than they have been for a while.  (I don't remember where I read it, sorry, but it was an actual statistic from an actual study, that I received in an actual piece of mail from an actual magazine.)  And I will never, ever, give up my books for a piece of plastic.  (No matter how convenient it is for traveling, it's just not the same.)

I think watches are still a practical and attractive method for telling time, especially since:

I despise cell phones.  I own one because it was given to me, and while I'm grateful not to have to have long-distance on my land-line, I still don't like cell phones.  Mostly because no one seems to understand the "off" feature.  My having a cell phone doesn't mean that I'm available 24/7 at someone else's convenience, and I wish that were true for a whole lot of other people, as well.

As for paper maps, I don't think GPS is an improvement.  Both are just as likely to lead you astray because they are out of date.  At least the paper map will do it without an annoying voice.  Paper maps have the advantage of not needing to be able to locate a satellite, which is pretty major if the GPS I have experience with is any indication of how well they usually work.

I don't do Facebook, and I never will.  For one thing, there's a few people with whom I have no interest in being "in touch", if that's what you call the total inanity that passes for Facebook "communication".  For another, when I want to contact someone I do it using a Real Letter (which I'll say more about in a minute).

The day the only way to own a camera is to buy a smart phone will be a sorry, sorry day in the history of mankind.

When I look at pictures, I like to have longer than five seconds.  I don't like it when a picture I'm appreciating fades into the next photograph before I'm done.  I think that digital frames have a place, but I find the idea that they will soon make regular picture frames obsolete frankly ludicrous.

And now, regarding letters.  I write letters.  I write letters with a fountain pen, on real paper.  I also write e-mails.  If I had to choose one over the other, I'd take a hand-written letter any day of the week, and twice on Sundays (except they don't deliver them on Sundays).  A letter is so much more civilized than an e-mail or phone call.  It doesn't require the person to drop what they're doing to talk (although I use my answering machine to avoid that; I'm not against ALL technology), and it invites leisurely perusal and a response in kind.  And the postal service is not going to become obsolete, leaving those of us who like letters bereft and crying, because no one has yet figured out a way to send packages over the computer.  So there.

Backing up a bit, if someone I'm talking with can't put down their phone for the time it takes to have a decent conversation, I'll find someone else to talk with.  Texting and taking calls while you're talking to someone else is rude.  If you have to take it, excuse yourself.  Talk to one person at a time.

And as for hiding, I'll just say this:  My phone isn't in my pocket.  It's not surgically attached to my ear, and I left it home.  Find me now.

I will agree with the author on a few things:  Renting movies is pretty silly, when you can get just about anything from the library.  I wouldn't be sorry to see wires disappear.  I like Craigslist as well as the next person, especially because I don't have to pay for the newspaper to read it.  I usually look things up on-line when I have a question, and can't imagine any question being so important that it couldn't wait 'til the electricity came back on.  The evening news probably isn't much of a loss, and cds do take up a lot of room.  And I have already eliminated commercials from my own life, by the simple expedient of not watching tv.

I could live without Craigslist, and I can probably live without knowing what a vampire bat's wings look like right this very minute too (but that's another post), so I don't think that Modern Technology is really going to be changing a whole lot, in my life.  Your mileage may vary, and I'm ok with that.  Just leave my books alone.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Do you realize that when something stops being profitable, it stops getting produced... so quite frankly, it won't really matter if you still want it to be around or not? Some of your points make a lot of sense, but just because some people prefers to listen to music on 8 tracks doesn't mean that they aren't going anywhere. :)

    I love you!

    ~AW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken. But I don't think that the things this author claims are going to replace things like maps, watches, and books, actually replace them. They're an alternative, but don't actually provide ALL the same "features", if you will, of the originals. Cassettes and cds replaced eight tracks because they offered EVERYTHING the 8-track did, plus more (smaller size, ability to skip songs easily, etc.). Now records are coming back (to an extent) because it turns out that records actually give better sound than a digital file. So while most people will, in fact, use digital files, that doesn't mean that records are obsolete. They provide a different experience.

    Similarly, letters give a different (to my mind, more satisfying) experience than a text or e-mail. And a book offers an experience that is not duplicated by an e-reader. And so on, and so forth.

    So there. :-P :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's what we DO with our technology that makes a difference.

    If we have significant discussions on Facebook, meet new people online that have emotional and intellectual value to us, or learn new ways of looking at ourselves and the world from blogs or Ebooks, then I think it may be worth it to be 'wired in' so to speak.

    Lots of fun shallow reasons to do it too. And sometimes I think junk food is OK - but there's lots of deep lasting friendships that are made and maintained online. Remind me next Thurs to tell you the tales of some of our longlasting online friendships. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.